Financial Aid Checklist for Incoming Students

Welcome to RWU Law! We have put together this checklist to help students access the financial aid resources they need to start law school. As always feel free to contact us with any questions you might have.

  • Accept Financial Aid Package (online)
    The Office of Financial Aid has received your FAFSA and it has been reviewed to determine eligibility for federal student loans. Carefully review the aid package to determine the amount of federal student loans you will need to borrow to cover tuition, fees, books/supplies and living expenses. In order to receive the aid offered please ACCEPT YOUR AID at This financial aid portal also allows you to reduce or decline your federal student loans.
  • Complete Federal Loan Entrance Counseling
    This is required for all first time Direct Loan borrowers and for students who are first time Graduate Plus Loan borrowers. Follow the Instructions for Direct Loan borrowers available online. Entrance counseling is completed online at
  • Complete Master Promissory Note
    This is required for all first time Direct Loan borrowers and for students who are first time Graduate Plus Loan borrowers. Follow the Instructions for Direct Loan borrowers available online. Master Promissory Notes are completed online at
  • Check your Credit
    The Federal Direct Graduate Plus Loan and all private student loans require a credit check. Before accepting your Graduate Plus Loan or applying for a private student loan, request and review a copy of your credit report at Students with an adverse credit history may be denied the Graduate Plus Loan. Please review the Graduate Plus Loan Info Sheet for more detailed information
  • Submit Verification Forms
    Submit all documentation as requested by the Office of Financial Aid. Disclose any outside scholarships or funding assistance.
  • Veterans: Submit Certification of Enrollment
    This must be submitted to the Office of Student Records and Finance so the VA can process your GI Bill benefits.
  • Title IV Authorization Form 
    Submit Title IV Authorization form to the Office of Student Finance and Records. Signing this form gives the law school authorization to use your federal loans to cover non-institutional and prior year charges.
  • Refunds for Living Expenses
    Living expense refunds are issued to students after the start of classes. Student are encouraged to sign up for direct deposit. You sign up for direct deposit on the billing page of your student portal. Refunds are issued by the Office of Student Records and Finance.

* Please note that living expense refunds are only issued to students that have completed all the above steps.

Close Course Type Descriptions

Course Types

We have classified RWU Law classes under the following headers. One of the following course types will be attached to each course which will allow students to narrow down their search while looking for classes.

Core Course

Students in the first and second year are required to take classes covering the following aspects of the law—contracts, torts, property, criminal law, civil procedure, and constitutional law, evidence, and professional responsibility.  Along with these aspects, the core curriculum will develop legal reasoning skills.


After finishing the core curriculum the remaining coursework toward the degree is completed through upper level elective courses.  Students can choose courses that peak their interests or courses that go along with the track they are following.


Seminars are classes where teachers and small groups of students focus on a specific topic and the students complete a substantial research paper.


Inhouse Clinics and Clinical Externships legal education is law school training in which students participate in client representation under the supervision of a practicing attorney or law professor.  RWU Law's Clinical Programs offer unique and effective learning opportunities and the opportunity for practical experience while still in law school.